Installation on Microsoft Hyper-V¶
This manual describes the steps to configure and prepare Microsoft Hyper-V in order to install the IAC-BOX.
- A 64-bit host-system is required.
- It is strongly recommended to use a dedicated physical network interface card for the Surf-LAN.
- The system must be online at any time in order to synchronize necessary IAC-BOX registration data with the licensing server.
- This manual describes the installation of the IAC-BOX on HyperV, not the HyperV installation itself.
- The IAC-BOX is a realtime system. Therefore it is critical to only assign and use ressources which are capable of working within the same operational context. For example: If a VM cluster is used, only the CPU cores of one socket may be used for the IAC-BOX to avoid rapid context switching between multiple sockets, which would lead to intolerable delays and possible system faults.
Please note the minimum hardware requirements.
|Users / Devices||CPU Cores||RAM||HDD Capacity|
|10 users||1||2 GB||60 GB|
|25 users||1||2 GB||60 GB|
|50 users||2||2 GB||60 GB|
|75 users||2||2 GB||60 GB|
|100 users||2||2 GB||60 GB|
|175 users||2||2 GB||60 GB|
|250 users||2||4 GB||250 GB|
|375 users||4||4 GB||250 GB|
|500 users||4||4 GB||250 GB|
|750 users||4||4 GB||250 GB|
|1000 users||4||8 GB||250 GB|
|1500 users||4||8 GB||250 GB|
|2000 users||8||8 GB||250 GB|
|3000 users||8||16 GB||250 GB|
|Unlimited users||8||16 GB||250 GB|
- Starting from 250 users a processor with at least 2,50 Ghz or better is required
- Virtualized environments generally need more ressources due to the nature of virtualization
- Functions like the Advanced Web Filter, the Application Control or the Connection Tracking are very CPU-intensive and should therefore be used with caution
- All specifications are subject to change without notice. The most recent version of this list can always be found here: http://www.iacbox.com/en/support/hardware-requirements/
- Some versions of Hyper-V may not support VLANs!
- In order to use the new DNS based Web Filter of IAC-BOX version 17.2, at least 4GB of internal memory must be available.
After opening Hyper-V click on Virtual Switch Manager which can be found on the right side of the screen.
The IAC-BOX does require at least 2 network interfaces, the Office-LAN for the uplink and management and the Surf-LAN for guest devices. Therefore in the Virtual Switch Manager click on New virtual network switch and then select External. Continue with clicking on Create Virtual Switch.
In the next step name this interface Office-LAN. As External Network select your primary physical network adapter which is connected to the internet.
Now repeat this process with another virtual network switch and call it Surf-LAN. For this virtual interface, select the physical interface which will be connected to the Surf-LAN.
Creating the Virtual Machine¶
After the configuration of the virtual network switches is done, right-click on the Hyper-V server in the left list and choose New and Virtual machine. This will open up a new window and show you the Before You Begin hints, proceed with Next.
Enter a name for the new virtual machine, e.g. IAC-BOX and click Next to continue.
Depending on your Hyper-V version you may can select the Generation of the virtual machine. Choose Generation 1 as Generation 2 is unsupported with IAC-BOX. Continue with Next.
Now select the amount of memory you want to allocate to this virtual machine. Note the minimum hardware requirements displayed on top of this manual.
In the following window select the Office-LAN as connection and proceed by clicking on Next.
Now a virtual hard drive must be configured. Enter a name and configure the size according to the minimum hardware requirements.
In the next screen you can decide how to include the installation medium. Usually in virtualized environments this is done by ISO images, but if the host system has a CD-ROM drive, then a CD can also be used.
Confirm the settings summary for this virtual machine and click Finish to create it.
Now the newly configured virtual machine will show up in the main list of Hyper-V. Select the new virtual machine and then click on Settings which can be found on the right side.
- If the installations is being performed with an IAC-BOX version older then 17.2, then it is necessary to use Legacy Network Adapters. Starting with IAC-BOX 17.2, it is also possible to use the regular network interfaces, but due to the random naming scheme these interfaces will be added in a random order. In the following steps the Office-LAN is being removed and added again from the virtual machine configuration.
In the Hardware section select the Network Adapter Office-LAN and then click on Remove.
Now click on Add Hardware, select Legacy Network Adapter and add it.
Click on the newly added Legacy Network Adapter and again select Office-LAN as network.
For the Surf-LAN, again click on Add Hardware and choose Legacy Network Adapter. Select the newly added adapter and assign the Virtual Switch to Surf-LAN. Click Apply and OK to close the window and proceed with the next step.
Return to the Hyper-V Manager, select the IAC-BOX virtual machine and click on Connect.
In the new Virtual Machine Connection window click on Action and then Start to start up the new IAC-BOX virtual machine.
If the configuration of the virtual machine has been done right, it will start to boot from the IAC-BOX ISO image or from the IAC-BOX CD/DVD. Enter g and confirm by pressing Enter to go on with the installation. You will see the default installation process of IAC-BOX.
Now you can go on with the installation of IAC-Box.
Please note that in case the setup does get stuck while initializing, you can press ESC to continue.